1. Deze website gebruikt cookies. Door deze website verder te gebruiken, gaat u akkoord met ons gebruik van cookies. Leer Meer.

[PC] [PC / Wiiware] World of Goo

Discussie in 'Games' gestart door Tco, 5 okt 2008.

1. Tco

Tco The Chosen One

Leuk Bevonden:
    [​IMG]

World of Goo

Kijk de trailer!!!! AANRADER!!!!!! _O_

[VIMEO]1870125[/VIMEO]​

Website; http://2dboy.com/
    Type game; building/physics/puzzle.
    Platform; PC (download en boxversie) & Wiiware
    Release date; 13 oktober (preorders 6 oktober) (boxed versie komt pas begin 2009 maar download versie is dus 13 oktober)
    Prijs; Wiiware versie 1500 punten. PC versie $20 (€14,50).
    Ontwikkelaar; Het is gemaakt door 2dboy (2 mensen), een indie developer (onafhankelijke).

[​IMG]

Ron links, Kyle rechts.

Kyle Gabler is one of the guys behind the Experimental Gameplay Project, and recently a game designer and magic rapid prototyper with Maxis & EA.
    Ron Carmel was previously a game developer with EA's pogo.com. Before that, he developed visual fx software and immersive haptic simulations.

De game

Denk niet dat World of Goo een game is die je kent en dat het een simpele build game is waar je alleen maar de hoogte in hoeft. :)
    Het is een hele originele mooie game van 2 mensen die wereldwijd geprezen worden voor de gameplay en art.
    Ik heb de game een week terug gepreorderd en heb al chapter 1 (als extraatje) mogen testen/proberen.

World of Goo is een bijzondere game.
    Prachtig om te zien, mooie muziek (allemaal zelf gemaakt) en levels die steeds leuker en leuker worden.
    Je moet zorgen dat je alle Goo van het begin van het level naar het einde krijgt (vaak een pijp).
    Je hebt enorm veel soorten Goo.

There are a lot - one of my favorites is a really fat Beauty Ball who is filled with Beauty Product. There are also match stick balls who are extremely flammable. There are balls which aren't really living, or maybe they are, nobody really knows. There are Block Head and Rect Head "balls". There is a Pokey Ball who is very emotionally and physically clingy. There are Water Balls who make things like strands of drool. And Chapter 4 has some unusual surprises. In general, you meet new species of Goo every few levels. It was very important that all puzzles in the game be very different from one other

Alle levels worden steeds ietsje moeilijker (maar nooit onmogelijk) en krijgen iedere keer iets nieuws.

Elk level heeft Obsessive Completion Distinction (OCD ). Bepaalde "flags" (achievements) die je kunt halen na of tijdens het spelen.
    Deze zijn echt voor de hardcore spelers.

Ook is er een minigame die je kunt spelen met alle Goo die je gered hebt.
    Dat is letterlijk een minigame waar je omhoog moet bouwen met enkele honderden goo.
    Tijdens het bouwen zie je andere namen hangen van andere mensen en hoever (hoogte) die zijn gekomen.

Ik wil graag het laatste gedeelte van de rockpapershogun review herhalen in mijn woorden.

Kleine developers die zulke mooie en leuke games maken verdienen het om met zo'n game een groot publiek te bereiken (en dus veel geld te verdienen).
    Voor maar 20 dollar heb je een unieke en originele game waar je je heel lang mee kunt vermaken.

[​IMG]

Ze zijn zelfs vermeld (met filmpje) door Nintendo President Iwata en Miyamoto tijdens een presentatie in Japan.

WiiWare zal 4 player co-op hebben.

Als je het wilt kopen heb je paypal nodig (www.paypal.nl) daarmee betaal je ook via ebay bijvoorbeeld en vele andere sites.
    Je maakt een account aan en zet geld van je gewone rekening naar paypal en betaalt het dan of je koppelt je paypal direct aan je bankrekening.

Screens;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reviews;​

Eurogamer review (9/10)
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=249671

rockpapershotgun review (4 keer duim omhoog)
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09/29/world-exclusive-world-of-goo-review/

Groot en leuk interview met de makers van World of Goo

Shortly after the PC version of World of Goo went gold the creators Ron Carmel and Kyle Gabler gave us a chance to pick their goo-filled brains to learn all we could about their exciting new project.

Now I have to admit I was pretty enthusiastic about getting a chance to toss some questions at these guys because after having a go with the pre-order demo I found that while it was very promising I had more questions than when I had started.

Q: Who are you and what is World of Goo for those who dont know?

Ron: I'm Ron, and if World of Goo were the starship enterprise, I'd probably be Scotty.

Kyle: I'm Kyle, the designer guy of World of Goo, and I would probably be that enterprise lady who has emotions and says things like "I feel a great satisfaction".

Q: The art direction in World of Goo has, as I'm sure you've heard, been compared to Tim Burton's work and even LocoRoco . Did you reference some of these works in developing the art style for the game or was it just something that came naturally as you envisioned the World of Goo?

Kyle: Yeah, I'm absolutely a fan of Tim Burton, but for the art, I think the "aha!" moment came from flipping through some Dr. Seuss books. I'm not a very good artist, but luckily I don't think he was either. I think the trick is, if you make stuff weird enough, nobody will care if you aren't a good artist. The important thing, though, was that every level should look very different from one another, simple and visually iconic in some way. I haven't played LocoRoco yet, but it looks like a lot of fun. I get the impression they are very different games though. I also really like Gish and Bridge Builder, but those are also very different games.

Q: While we're on the subject of design direction, I know the music is something you've talked about with a lot of pride. I understand your recording methods were somewhat bizarre. What kind of strange techniques and situations was the music recorded in and was there really any inspiration for using these methods or was it a result of budget restrictions?

Kyle: Music must be a direct pipeline into the composer's soul or something where you open up your heart and squirt music out as best as you can, and if people don't like it, it's like stabbing your soul with pointy words. Does that even make any sense? I'm not even joking, I just hope people like it or there is going to be crying. Most of the music is synthesized in my computer with digital instruments collected over the years. And I banged on boxes and chairs for some of the drums, and recorded human voices to play back layered on top of each other on a keyboard to try and make it sound like big choirs. It's 100% poor man music. A lot of inspiration came from Vangelis , the guy who did the Blade Runner soundtrack and a bunch of other very distinct sounding scores. He's very good at making synthesizers feel warm and organic. And also Danny Elfman of course, and Saturday morning cartoon music like the music for Dexter's Lab.

Q: People who have followed the game know that “Tower of Goo ” is the genesis for World of Goo, but what was the genesis for Tower of Goo?

Kyle: Tower of Goo was originally going to be about all these little guys who lived in a little town and for some reason they brought a bunch of stuff out of their houses, chairs, tables, whatever, into the center of the town to build a giant tower. There were only four days to make that game, though, so luckily little Goo Balls with little gooey arms were faster to create, and in retrospect, probably easier to identify with than high quality rendered little guys with oak tables and 3d bedroom sets. Also the music was going to be Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher" . Good thing it was copywritten, that would have been a disaster.

Sqrl's Note: I highly suggest folks open the Higher and Higher link and listen in the background while reading, it adds a little something extra.

Q: Having followed your forums for a while I've noticed that you seem to interact with and feed off of your fans quite a bit. What types of game design problems have you found your members are good at solving and what types of problems do they maybe not fully understand the restrictions of? Be honest, how often do you read your forums and think “Man I wish we had time to add that!”?

Ron: We're not schedule oriented, so if a good idea comes up we try it out. Even when it doesn't work out, it often leads to other interesting ideas that do make it into the game. A good example of that is the whistle, which draws the goo balls towards the cursor. It has several uses, you could call the goo balls over to one side to prevent a tower collapse, you can call them to the area where you're building to make them easier to grab, you could call them away from an area that you want to disassemble. all of these were playability issues that came up during beta and the discussion on the forums helped us come up with a clean solution that addresses multiple problems. i don't think we would have come up with this on our own.

Q: As a smaller developer how does 2D Boy approach game development differently than the Juggernauts of the industry?

Kyle: I think one of the advantages we have, is that if we fail, we have to go get a job, probably at a juggernaut.

Q: While we're on the subject of the big-budget development approach, I believe that also plays a part in the story for the game. Can you talk a bit about the game's story and how your past experiences have become a part of it?

Kyle: Sure, I hope it's not too obvious. The big story arc in the game is about the Goo Balls. They are curious and naive, and just want to explore, and climb higher and higher. Then there is the ambiguously evil World of Goo Corporation that is collecting, processing, and distributing Goo Balls and Goo Related Product via a giant global pneumatic pipe system. Meanwhile, we're a naive and curious new indie game developer, and there are huge ambiguously evil game publishers with vast distribution networks. I just hope the game has a happy ending.

Q: One of the concerns I've heard with the game is that it might be a bit too easy. Is it safe to assume that there are some levels that will even challenge Marius & “Big Winner Uncle Dave ”? Or to put it another way, can we expect to come to a level and be stunned by the insanity that lay ahead of us?

Kyle: No worries, there will be plenty of challenge, appropriately dispensed. I'm not sure this is the right way of thinking about it though - it doesn't seem like a good idea to make a game insanely difficult just for the sake of being insanely difficult, or as an artificial way to try and keep players engaged, probably at the expense of alienating less experienced players. It seems like a really bad idea actually.

The trick was to make a game that would challenge very hard core players, but also allow inexperienced players to feel welcome. Levels do get progressively and naturally more challenging as you learn more stuff, but even on ordinary levels, we've been surprised at some of the genius solutions people on our forums have come up with. On the third level, for example, some guys on our forum found a creative method to solve the level and suck up more than double the Goo Balls we ever anticipated. So we created Obsessive Completion Distinction (OCD ) Flags, kind of like "achievements", for each level, that you can earn if you complete an area under very difficult or very creative criteria. The Sign Painter (one of the characters in the game) points out at one point, "Some winners are bigger than other winners".

Q: We've already been introduced to 8 types of goo in the Family of Goo! Should we expect even more than these types of goo as we progress through the game? If so, about how many types of goo can we expect?

Kyle: There are a lot - one of my favorites is a really fat Beauty Ball who is filled with Beauty Product. There are also match stick balls who are extremely flammable. There are balls which aren't really living, or maybe they are, nobody really knows. There are Block Head and Rect Head "balls". There is a Pokey Ball who is very emotionally and physically clingy. There are Water Balls who make things like strands of drool. And Chapter 4 has some unusual surprises. In general, you meet new species of Goo every few levels. It was very important that all puzzles in the game be very different from one other.

Q: You've already revealed that on WiiWare you're planning on having multiplayer co-op, how many simultaneous players are you planning to support? Does this co-op mode include any levels designed around co-op gameplay?

Ron: The Wii version will support up to 4 people playing on the same screen. Turns out that while playing co-op mode players tend to talk with each other to figure out the puzzle and coordinate the actual work so the cooperation takes place both on-screen and off-screen. That was an unexpected surprise for us and it was really cool to watch it happen.

Kyle: Many of the levels have creative multiplayer solutions, even though they were designed to be solvable by a single player since most people have just one WiiMote. I don't want to spoil anything, but I'm curious to see if anyone discovers some of the things you can do with multiple WiiMotes that you can't do with just one. You can also play with two hands if you have two WiiMotes and nobody else is around.

Q: The gaming industry seems to be providing tougher and tougher budgeting choices for gamers every year as high quality titles are released more and more frequently. This year appears to be no exception so far, so why should gamers budget for World of Goo? What makes World of Goo stand out from the crowd and demand to be played?

Ron: I'm not sure how to answer that. different games appeal to different people, so in that regard I don't think there's something that makes world of goo a must-buy for everyone. If you like physics games, puzzle games, or if you're into games that are a little "out there" in terms of style and gameplay, you might want to check out world of goo.

Q: A lot of people have looked at the value of Wiiware games in regards to their smaller purchase price VS shorter play times. About how long do you think the game will take most people to complete and what sorts of things have you done to increase replay value?

Ron: This is a part of a much larger discussion about how people value what they spend their money on. Length seems to be a big deal for people and I think it's all too easy to be more concerned with how much you're paying per hour than what kind of experience you're having during that time. Based on the quality of the experience, I'd pay 20 bucks an hour for Portal or Shadow of the Colossus , but won't pay even $5 an hour for even the best shootemup game.

But to answer your question, the length of the game varies. some people really have a knack for it and go through the game in about 4-5 hours. other people take a lot longer. My mom has probably played the game for more than 40 hours so far and is about 80% of the way through. The OCD flags add replay value to the game, and so do the online leaderboards for individual levels. We've seen people compete for bragging rights on our forums. This guy named Marius is king right now. he totally blew our minds with the clever solutions he's come up with for some of the levels, things we never even imagined possible.

Kyle: Also, as you complete levels, the Goo Balls you collect are sent to the "World of Goo Corporation" area, which is kind of a persistent online metagame. In this area, the goal is to build [your tower] as high as possible and your height is constantly compared to and ranked with other payers around the world. But to build higher, you need more balls, so it's in your best interest to collect as many balls as possible from each level, and really optimize your solution. It's completely optional, but we've seen test players spend hours optimizing individual levels.

Q: From a development perspective what has working on Wiiware been like so far compared to other platforms? What kind of development advantages and disadvantages does Wiiware offer compared to the PC or even XBLA or PSN?

Ron: I'm not sure we're experienced enough in developing for consoles to answer this. When developing for Wii, we didn't have to worry about different hardware configurations, which allowed me sleep better at night. The downside is that there's a lot of platform specific stuff we needed to deal with for Wii that we safely ignored on the PC. Nintendo also has quite a check list of requirements that take a while to implement, and I've heard it's similar for the other consoles as well.

Another important thing to note when considering these different platforms is that the terms of the WiiWare distribution agreement are a lot better than the XBLA terms. I advise every developer considering making an XBLA game to read the fine print of the agreement. I don't want to go into details, but if you're interested in reading more about this check out the piece I wrote for Gamasustra.com on the subject a few weeks ago.

Q: A lot of developers have expressed strong opinions about working with Nintendo and Wiiware. From a business perspective what has your experience with Nintendo been like so far? What was the reasoning behind choosing Wiiware over the other digital distribution alternatives?

Ron: I'm not sure to what degree our experience represents the average experience developers have with Nintendo, but we have nothing but praise for them, and for Dan Adelman in particular. We always felt that we were being dealt with honestly and treated fairly, they helped us quite a bit with PR, have been very open and communicative, and totally hands off when it comes to design and development of the game. But we didn't know any of this when we started working with them, the main reason we chose the Wii over other platforms is that the wiimote was a good fit for the game and the dual-shock style controllers not so much.

Q: While we're on the subject of digital distribution, I know that Steam has been discussed by some (unofficially) as a possible PC distribution platform for World of Goo, is that a real possibility currently? What benefits do you feel 2D Boy could gain from a potential partnership with Valve and the Steam community?

Ron: One only has to look at Audiosurf to see what a game can gain from a partnership with Valve , so yeah, we're very interested in getting the game on Steam. We've talked to Valve during GDC earlier this year and it certainly seems like a possibility.

Q: Nintendo at their spring summit in Japan described 2D Boy as "the quintessential indie developer" and have pointed to World of Goo as the type of game they dreamed of people making when they set out to develop the WiiWare content distribution system. There has been a lot of similar praise from pretty much every realm of the gaming industry as well. Do these sorts of comments provide a morale boost to the team or do they also manifest into future business opportunities? I'm sure a lot of publishers would love to pad their massive development stables, would you guys even be interested in that sort of offer given your past and the message of the game?

Ron: There's a decent chance that Iwata's mention of our game will result in a real business opportunity, but it's too early to say. Even if it doesn't, to say that this was a morale booster would be quite the understatement. It made our year.

As for being bought out, I don't really see that in our future, for a couple of reasons. First, if we become an attractive acquisition target it's probably because we're generating good revenue, and if we're generating good revenue then there's no reason to sell the company and give that revenue stream to someone else. Second, 2d boy doesn't have any assets other than me, Kyle, and a couple of Wii Dev Kits, so if we were to sell the company it would have to mean that we would go work for someone else for a few years. If we wanted cushy jobs with a large game company we wouldn't have left EA.

Laatst bewerkt: 5 okt 2008
  2. Tco

Tco The Chosen One

Leuk Bevonden:
    edit; niet meer van toepassing.

Laatst bewerkt: 9 mei 2009
  3. Manialmadcowie

Manialmadcowie Active Member

Leuk Bevonden:
    Doet me een beetje denken aan Lemmings :cool:

4. Tco

Tco The Chosen One

Leuk Bevonden:
    De enige vergelijking is dat je ze van punt a naar B moet krijgen maar daar houd het ook snel op :+.

5. Tco

Tco The Chosen One

Leuk Bevonden:
    *megabumpie voor deze geniale game*

6. Davey666

Davey666 Dislocated Boy

Leuk Bevonden:
    Jep geniale game ;)

Maar tot dusver alleen de demo gespeeld :9

7. JoJo

JoJo ☆☆☆

Leuk Bevonden:
    Je kan 'm nu zelfs voor $0,01 kopen 8)

8. Roerbakmie

Roerbakmie .....

Leuk Bevonden:
    Nee, het is minimaal een dollar.
    Ik heb het geprobeerd te doen voor een cent maar dan krijg ik de melding: Please enter a number greater than 1.

9. Peter_Aragorn

Peter_Aragorn Peter AragornNL

Leuk Bevonden:
    Nee hoor... Heb het net geprobeerd met 0.01 USD... Gelukt :9

Deel Deze Pagina