1. Deze website gebruikt cookies. Door deze website verder te gebruiken, gaat u akkoord met ons gebruik van cookies. Leer Meer.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned

Discussie in 'Algemeen' gestart door DulleNL, 27 mei 2009.

1. Fiasco

Fiasco Big Stepper XBW.nl VIP

Leuk Bevonden:
    Die screenie van Dulle is gewoon art. Wat jij post lijkt mij gameplay. Ziet er niet uit als cell-shaded.

2. DulleNL

DulleNL I'm a little teapot Magic Member

Leuk Bevonden:
    low-res? :eek: Het is toch zeker niet lelijk?
    Het is niet cell-shaded, maar lichtelijk cartoony. ;) Zie deze.

Jij bent vreemd! :'-(
    En die zal inderdaad art zijn. Of een render, het ziet er niet echt uit als een tekening zoals het meestal met art is, maar het ziet er ook niet uit als een screen.

Een artscreen dus. :+

Laatst bewerkt: 18 jun 2009
  3. PineaPPle JOE

PineaPPle JOE Registered Abuser

Leuk Bevonden:
    deze vind ik ook raar hoor, het ziet er een beetje disney uit. hopelijk is dit niet het eindresultaat.
    het is moeilijk te zien, alsof het geen diepte heeft ofzo.

edit: het zijn denk ik objecten enzo met computer gemaakt endaarna bij elkaar gezet, wat het dus geen screen maakt? :confused:

Laatst bewerkt: 18 jun 2009
  4. DulleNL

Leuk Bevonden:
    Uitgever: Disney Interactive Studios :+

Maar ik zie niks vreemds aan de screens. Dat maakt mij dan misschien vreemd. :p

5. Modder-Eter

Modder-Eter XBW.nl VIP XBW.nl VIP

Leuk Bevonden:
    Ze mogen wel wat anti-aliasing over dat beeld heen gooien, zeg...

6. DulleNL

Leuk Bevonden:
    Zal hoop/denk ik nog wel gebeuren. Ze hebben iig nog anderhalf jaar de tijd.

7. Modder-Eter

Modder-Eter XBW.nl VIP XBW.nl VIP

Leuk Bevonden:
    Wat ik zelf ook een beetje jammer vind is dat deze game gewoon al 1,5 jaar van tevoren aangekondigd wordt.

8. Smirnoff

Smirnoff Wahed fenomeen.

Leuk Bevonden:
    tja, ik had een of andere pirates of the carribean voor op m'n ps2 en dat was opzich wel aardig maar de camera besturing was ronduit kut...|:-
    ik hoop dat het hier beter is want anders is het zoveel minder fun...

9. PineaPPle JOE

PineaPPle JOE Registered Abuser

Leuk Bevonden:
    Ja dulle, ik wist dat het van Disney was.

10. DulleNL

Leuk Bevonden:
    Ja, maar dan is het toch logisch dat het er 'disney' uit ziet? :p

Ik neem trouwens aan dat je daarmee bedoelt dat het er wat cartoony uitziet?

11. DulleNL

Leuk Bevonden:
    Woei, eindelijk weer eens een teken van leven. \o/

First Look at Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned
    A new legend is born in this promising action RPG.

US, May 10, 2010 - Last week, I found myself in the bustling city of Vancouver for the first time. Although there are plenty of sights to see, I was on a very specific mission: to visit Propaganda Games and have a look at the upcoming action RPG titled Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned. Yes, Armada of the Damned is based on the famous Disney franchise, which means one thing: another sub-par movie game, right?

Wrong. Armada of the Damned is one of the most promising licensed games I've seen in a while, and I think gamers should be very excited about it.

The reason Armada of the Damned has so much potential is thanks to the efforts of the fine folks at Propaganda Games -- a few of whom I met personally on my tour of the studio. These guys and gals want to be known as the action RPG studio working with Disney and they've made sure to leave themselves plenty of breathing room for ensuring this project is the best game it could possibly be. Their current plan is to finish the game as a whole in a few months time, which gives them more than half a year to polish, tweak and balance their creation for its early 2011 launch.

[​IMG]

So why does Armada of the Damned have so much promise? First and foremost, this game isn't forcefully based on one of the movies. Although the game is set in the Pirates of the Caribbean universe (and can subsequently tap into the franchise's massive back story and lore), the events of the game transpire well before the first film and revolve around a new hero: Sterling. This young adventurer had dreams of fame and fortune -- having been raised by a poor father -- but Sterling is, surprisingly, killed on his first voyage through the Caribbean. Through the intervention of certain supernatural forces, Sterling is brought back to the world of the living and is given a second chance to fulfill his fate.

The idea of "choosing your fate" takes center stage in Armada of the Damned. Early on in the game, players will decide if they will play as a legendary hero, or a dreaded one. Although this choice is rigid (you can't play both sides at once), the gameplay will remain flexible. In other words, players can still make the occasional "good" or "evil" decision, even if that decision opposes their original selection. But Sterling will ultimately end his journey as a legendary captain or a dreaded one. You can't be the Neutral Captain Sterling, after all. That'd be just silly.

This defining choice extends into several aspects of the game -- it doesn't just influence the story. Sterling's appearance, personality, weapons, attacks, quests, and even the game's endings are all affected by the player's choice. The legendary Sterling is a showboating, handsome adventurer, while the dreaded Sterling is haunted, dark, and uses supernatural power to decimate those that stand before him.

[​IMG]

The dynamic between these two paths was demonstrated perfectly in a set of two trailers, where Sterling narrates his experiences after he wakes up on a beach. In the first legendary trailer, Sterling's voice grows richer over the course of the video, building up confidence and momentum until he announces himself as the legendary Captain Sterling. The second trailer starts the same way, but the moment that Sterling regains consciousness after his fatal accident, his voice sounds unsettled. Vengeful. You can slowly detect a haunting echo in his voice, which becomes more guttural and menacing over time. The vast difference between the character's voice alone was enough to show me that Armada of the Damned could very likely be played twice and would feel fresh on both play throughs.

Seeing trailers is good fun, but seeing the game in action is what it's all about. The first part of my extended demo covered the land battle portion of Armada of the Damned, which looks a little bit like Fable. Sterling has a light and heavy attack, and he can string a series of four strikes together to form a basic combo. Timing the button presses accurately will cause Sterling to end the combo with a powerful bonus strike, which plays out in slow-motion (for the win). This adds a bit of a timing game to the combat, which is a welcome feature. Sterling can also grab his opponents and infect them with a curse, which is basically a weakening spell. This curse can then be transferred to all the other enemies in the area if Sterling performs a finishing move on a cursed opponent.

Of course, all of Sterling's various attacks, special moves, and animations change depending on if the player selected the legendary path or the dreaded path. The special moves were of particular interest to me, as they play on the nature of Sterling (be it legendary or dreaded) and they look sweet in the process. Legendary Sterling can perform a technique, for example, where he tosses a jug of rum into the air and shoots it, causing flames to pour over the baddies underneath. On the other hand, the dreaded version of Sterling uses a giant anchor as a special weapon and can smash it down to the ground, causing ghostly waves to erupt from the earth.

To make this intriguing system even more appetizing, players will be able to upgrade these skills in a number of different ways, tweaking their version of Sterling to their liking. If players want to use a very specific set of skills, they are free to pour experience into just those techniques and maximize their efficiency. I completely support a game that allows players to personalize the main character outside of purely aesthetic variables.

[​IMG]

Besides attacks and special moves, Sterling also has a block and parry technique which is timing-based. This parry can lead into a follow-up attack, which adds yet another layer to the combat mechanics. But don't expect things to get too hectic -- Propaganda wants to make sure Armada of the Damned is still very accessible and easy to play.

The second section of the demonstration focused on sea combat. What would a daring pirate captain be without a ship? Certainly not a daring pirate... or a captain. Sea combat is another fundamental element of Armada of the Damned, and it's much more exciting than you might think. Players can view the action from a distant perspective (with the camera hanging a ways back from your ship) or from right behind Sterling's shoulder as he mans the wheel. I was immediately taken with the latter view, as the action really comes to life as Sterling's ship tosses and lurches in the waves, with cannon shells careening through the air in a glorious fiery blaze.

When it comes to the actual combat, players can attack an opposing ship's hull, sails, or crew. By balancing these three attack types together, players can sink a ship, disable its movement or weaken its crew to ease the process of boarding. This seemed like a great way to set up the battles, and with a Gears of War style reloading mechanic which rewards players with accurate timing, there's going to be a lot of skill and strategy to employ when fighting on the high seas. Sterling will even be able to use special techniques while sailing -- similar to the ones he uses on foot. During my demonstration, the dreaded Sterling summoned a massive tempest above the enemy ship and called forth a tremendous bolt of lightning that split the hull clear in half. Wicked.

Sailing isn't all about blood and steel, though. Players will be able to explore almost all of the Caribbean, filled with hidden caves, trade routes, bustling towns (including Tortuga and Port Royale) and more. According to the developers at Propaganda, Armada of the Damned could last up to 100 hours if players decide to tackle all the available side quests.

[​IMG]

The final two sections of my tour of the game were shorter, but still just as interesting. I had a walkthrough of Tortuga, where the day/night cycle was shown off, and I also met with one of the developers behind Armada of the Damned's sound design. Propaganda wants to make sure that the musical themes from the movies are treated tastefully and only used on occasion. There's plenty of stirring original music to be found in Armada of the Damned, with special markers built into the system to allow the tracks to transition seamlessly from one section to another.

It's still way too early to make conclusive statements about Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned, and I wouldn't want to, anyway -- I haven't even played the game yet! But from what I've seen so far, Armada of the Damned is very promising. The different versions of Sterling look like they'd be great heroes, and the amount of gameplay to be found in the main quest is impressive. Let's hope we'll be able to get our hands on this one when E3 rolls around.

Armada of the Damned is scheduled to launch early next year for the PS3, 360 and PC.

Plaatjes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. DulleNL

Leuk Bevonden:

E3 2010: Pirates of the Caribbean -- Armada of the Damned Update
    It's still a ways out, but this action RPG is already more fun than the last Pirates movie.

We got our first look at Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned a couple weeks ago, and while we came away impressed it was only an eyes-on demo. Today we actually got to play the game and can report that this is still a promising action RPG. Even though Armada of the Damned uses the Pirates of the Caribbean license, it isn't based on any of the recent movies starring Johnny Depp. This is its own game, an adventure that lets players create their own pirate and wander the seas of the Caribbean seeking fame and fortune.

One of the key features of Armada of the Damned is the ability to decide what type of pirate you want to be: Legendary or Dreaded. Choose the Legendary path and your character will be celebrated. He'll be a charming, dashing pirate with a quick wit. If you decide to be dreaded, though, you will be more feared than celebrated. You will appear as a sinister, conniving pirate whose form is hunched over and less agile.

For today's demo we played as a Legendary pirate. We arrived on a large island in search of a figurehead for our ship – you know, one of those wooden carvings of a woman's bust that juts out from the front of the vessel. We were soon greeted by a shaman from the island's indigenous tribe, but all is not well with the people. The shaman is deformed and has trouble communicating. In fact, his right arm is beginning to look a lot like a crab's pincher. Turns out the figurehead we seek is indeed on the island, but it has cursed the inhabitants and is turning them into mindless, savage crab people. We agreed to take the figurehead off their hands in the hopes that they will turn back to normal.

The figurehead resides in the volcano at the highest point of the island. As we made our way there (following the objective icon on our mini-map, of course) islanders in varying stages of crab transformation needed to be dealt with. Combat is fairly straightforward, allowing players to string together light and heavy melee attacks. You can also throw in shots from your pistol for good measure. Once you've damaged an enemy enough you can pull off an impressive finishing move. By holding the right trigger and hitting them with a light melee attack you can curse the enemy, allowing you to pull off even more acrobatic feats.

Once we made it to the figurehead, it was of course being guarded by…a giant enemy crab! We attacked its weak point for massive damage.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned is shaping up to be a lot of fun. It needs polish – but with an early 2011 release window the developers should have plenty of time to do just that. Setting the game outside of the recent films seems to be a wise choice. Everyone loves the idea of travelling the high seas, being totally free to look for treasure and fortune. That's just what this game is aiming to let us do.

Screenshots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DulleNL

Leuk Bevonden:

Watch Out For Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned

Though I've ridden the ride like eight or nine times, I've never seen any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I think I just got caught up in some serious pirate burnout, brought on by too many lame indie rock chicks and all the stupid "YO DOG PIRATES AND NINJAS SHOULD FIGHT" crap that came and went a few years back. That and I guess I haven't really enjoyed anything Johnny Depp has done since Blow. Anyway, with that in mind, it shouldn't surprise you to hear that I wasn't really too keen on checking out the latest game to bear the name, Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned. But this Propaganda-developed action-RPG looks pretty promising and it's set before the films, giving the game a cohesive universe to work with without forcibly strapping its narrative to that of a simple movie.

[​IMG]
    Me timbers are shiverin' already.

Armada of the Damned is designed as an action-RPG with a combat system that includes basic light and heavy attacks, a pistol that can be worked into combos, blocks and parries on defense, and special moves that require you to fill a meter before they can be deployed. That combat system, along with a lot of other things in the game, are impacted by the moral decisions you make as you quest your way around the high seas. Though it sounds like the game's developers are attempting to make those moral choices less obvious than a simple "are you good or evil" decision-making process, it eventually puts you in the role of a legendary (good) or dreaded (bad) pirate. Your abilities, skill tree, and even the look of your pirate ship are governed by that role. Though I don't normally play the evil path in games unless I'm reviewing them, the dreaded pirate is armed with a gigantic anchor that you bust out during combos. Certain special attacks, such as one that slams the ground and pops enemies up into the air with a surprise geyser of water, make great use of the anchor, as well. Special attacks are governed by a meter that fills as you fight.

[​IMG]
    Piratas!

The quest being shown off at Disney's pre-E3 event had me making my way to the highest point on an island, where an idol needed to be tinkered with. The end choice essentially asks you if you want to keep the idol for yourself or carve your own face onto it. The carving is the "legendary" choice, because even though defacing an item of worship isn't especially "good," you are, after all, still a pirate. The immediate result is that keeping the idol causes the ensuing boss fight to come along with some additional enemies--in this case, creepy-looking crab men. But there's a longer-term impact, as well. Apparently carving your face into the idol gains favor with the locals--since you look just like the thing they pray to--and gives you discounts on local goods. Keeping the idol lets you sell it for a lump of cash... and sends the entire island crashing down until everything of worth is destroyed. It sounds like you'll have to return to this specific island later in the game if you want to truly see the effect your actions caused.

It's just one example, but it was a pretty effective one for the brief time I spent with the game. It sounds like you'll have plenty of other opportunities to shape the world as you see fit and experience a long, twisting narrative. To hear Propaganda's Dan Tudge tell it, there are around three novels' worth of dialogue in the game, or around 180,000 words. I realize that isn't exactly a useful number, since games don't often get broken down into word counts, but hey, that at least sounds big.

All of that action is backed up by a great-looking stylized world that will feature some familiar locations from the films. It'll also feature the open sea, as you'll be able to put together a crew and set sail. Ship combat--including ramming other ships into tiny pieces--will also be a factor, though only the on-foot stuff was on display for this demo. It was certainly enough to leave me interested in seeing more. You'll be able to hit man-sized crab monsters in the face with an anchor yourself this fall on Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3.

14. Daz

Daz

Leuk Bevonden:
    Ziet er goed uit. Hopelijk krijgen we wat meer te zien tijdens de E3.

15. DiaL

DiaL XBW Senior

Leuk Bevonden:
    Inderdaad, sfeervol.

RDR/Oblivion sandbox style Pirate game zou echt geweldig zijn! Ook dit lijkt alvast erg veelbelovend.

16. ThunderCrasH

ThunderCrasH Ja toch?

Leuk Bevonden:
    Alsof m'n portemonnee nog niet genoeg geplunderd (:emo:) zal worden de komende tijd!

Heb die Pirates game op de Xbox altijd leuk gevonden en dit geeft mij zo'n 'Fable' gevoel en dat is een goed iets. Nu hopen dat de game ook goed gaat worden.

17. ThunderCrasH

ThunderCrasH Ja toch?

Leuk Bevonden:
    [GT]<div style="width: 480px;"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=101192"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=101192" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object><div style="font-size: 10px; font-family: Verdana; text-align: center; width: 480px; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px; background-color: black; height: 32px;"><div><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com" title="GameTrailers.com">Video Games</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com/game/pirates-of-the-caribbean/11355" title="PotC: Armada of the Damned ">PotC: Armada of the Damned </a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-potc-armada/101192" title="E3 2010: Exclusive Preview HD">E3 2010: Exclusive Preview HD</a></div><div style="padding-top: 3px;"><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/" title="XBox 360">XBox 360</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://ps3.gametrailers.com/" title="PS3">Playstation 3</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://wii.gametrailers.com/" title="Wii">Nintendo Wii</a></div></div></div>[/GT]

18. DulleNL

Leuk Bevonden:
    Je hoeft alleen dit gedeelte tussen de GT tags te zetten: ;)
    [​IMG]
    [GT]101192[/GT]

19. Fiasco

Fiasco Big Stepper XBW.nl VIP

Leuk Bevonden:
    Ziet er veelbelovend uit, ben benieuwd. :eek:

20. kwdtje

kwdtje Active Member

Leuk Bevonden:
    Fable achtige graphics, bah. Ik had gehoopt op een donkere setting ! Jammer, maar we zullen zien!

Deel Deze Pagina